Monday, September 21, 2009

Math 105 is actually fun!

Okay, so, I am an English major and math is a subject where I have always had struggles! I am excited to finally be blogging for this class. Maria definitely makes learning math a fun and memorable experience. I remember my high school algebra teacher as a boring, monotone, lecture kind of teacher. I really didn't enjoy math and worked my way through two years of it with lots of help from my now husband. I was in high school in the late 80's, and you couldn't use the internet and pull up Wolfram Alpha to assist you when you couldn't figure out a problem.
So, this class has been a lot of fun so far. I have enjoyed every lecture and walked away feeling like I actually know something about things like Venn diagrams and deductive reasoning. Now, my goal is to put it all together and do well on this first test.
I have two boys- a kindergartener and a third grader. My third grader is a math whiz already (he definitely gets it from his dad). I look forward to working with him and some of the students in his class and blogging about some of my experiences with them!
Blackboard and all of the games and videos that are posted under the virtual classroom are very helpful to me. I find it amazing that I would rather play math learning games rather than check my e-mail or catch up on facebook.
I really liked the IBL activity with the battleship game that Scott presented last week and Tim's logic puzzle that he presented today! Have a good day everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment