Monday, September 28, 2009

Teaching base ten in kindergarten

In doing the first set of homework problems for 3.1, I laughed a bit and felt a little relief when I encountered #28. The bundles of sticks model found on page 133 in the text is something that my third grade son learned in kindergarten. I thought, hey, if a kindergartener can do it, I most certainly can, of course.
His teacher would begin everyday with calendar, counting, music, etc. They counted the days that they were in school everyday using the bundles of sticks model. It's a great way for the kids to learn the base ten system. With so many things in kindergarten, the way they learn it is like a game to them. My youngest son is now in kindergarten, and thanks to this class, I have a whole new perspective on base ten. I will certainly apply the bundles and sticks method at home with him and challenge my third grader with the base five system and show him the difference number systems that we covered in class today.

1 comment:

  1. At the elementary that I volunteer at, we do the same thing. I think that it is a great, and fun way for the children to have fun and learn in the class.

    ReplyDelete