Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Prime numbers

As always, today's class was insightful and very helpful. The method that Maria gave us, the sieve of Eratosthenes' was the easiest method I have ever used to identify prime numbers.
Just to review, a prime is a natural number that posesses exactly two different factors, itself and 1. For example, 17 is a prime number because it has exactly two different factors, 17 and 1. 15 is not a prime number, because 15 has more than two factors; 1 and 15, and 3 and 5.
I liked using the blocks today to demonstrate the rectangular array of division. I am a very hands on learner, so manipulating the blocks makes a lot more sense to me than just looking at pictures in a book. I am planning on teaching early elementary, so when I look for links on the web, I tend to look for kid friendlysites. Check out this site for an easy to read chart on prime numbers, as well as many different educational aids for all areas of study!
http://www.factmonster.com/math/numbers/prime.html
Have a great evening!

1 comment:

  1. Natural numbers are collection of odd,even and prime numbers and their application and characteristics are wide.Prime Numbers

    ReplyDelete